my inner monologue unleashed

Friday, May 14, 2010

“It was nice to see me in at least ONE picture from high school. But....it stands to reason because I was not ever included in all of your fun and festivities. Oh well...it's water under the bridge now”


this is an actual facebook comment from a former classmate of mine on a group picture. I honestly only knew she was in the picture by process of elimination. I’m going on record as saying if my 20 year return turns into some kind of steven king thriller...please start the police search with her.


i was talking about the reunion tonight. I’ve co-authored a book, co-produced a made for TV animated movie...blah blah. I’m an accomplished career woman living in a nice part of town, driving a nice car, surrounded by amazing friends. I’ve traveled the world and sometimes can get off a wicked serve in tennis. But what I think they see is I never even succeeded at failing at being married. I don’t have countless kids that i’ve had to fight for custody of and I’ve never attended a PTA meeting where I really wanted to just poke my eye out or spent countless hours in the early afternoon driving tiny people to practices and rehearsals.


When I was younger, I clearly remember thinking - “I’m going to grow up, be single and live in an apartment.” Not even making that up. That’s what i wanted to do. All these girls aspiring to meet someone in college and become a wife were beyond my comprehension. It was a claustrophobic, spirit stifling thought to me. Hence my 20-something near runaway bride episode.


Perhaps when I wished to be a single, free, city living apartment dweller, I was having my own “Big” moment. I should have wished to be grown up and work for a toy company. Oh wait, I got that. And I probably should have thought that through a little bit more too.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home